Thursday, February 22, 2007

Best Glutenfree Chocolate Chip Cookies

Back in 1998, I became interested in the glutefree caseinfree diet after my grandson was diagnosed in the pdd(pervasive developmental disorder) spectrum which includes neurological disorders like autism and ADD(attention Deficient Disorder) This diet was prescribed by his physician but we were clueless how to begin. At that time. very little information was available and the prepared foods were not good enough to replace all the foods he had enjoyed.

We spent hundreds of hours digging for information and trying to cook with a whole new set of rules. For example, we found that there are many flours that can be used but none exhibit the same properties as flour with gluten. After experimenting,we were able to find a combination that best suited our needs.

In this blog, I will try to give you the benefit of the things I’ve learned during this process. Recently the CDC released the results of a new study concerning the alarming rise in number of children being diagnosed with autism. Now one in every 150 children is diagnosed with autism. This result acknowledges autism is now at epidemic proportions. Parents will need to understand more about this disorder.and the one thing most people agree on is the importance of the proper diet to their well being.

With my weekly posts, I will share my family’s experience with moving to a glutenfree diet and hope to help others who may experiencing problems during this difficult time. In the comment section, you are encouraged to share your own experiences and tips as well ask any questions. I will try to answer as many as I can-and we can tap into the glutenfree community as well.

Today I'd like to start by sharing one of my favorite cookie recipes:

Best Glutenfree Chocolate Chip cookies

1 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup arrowroot flour

3/4 cup baby rice cereal

3/4 cup potato starch

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

1 cup margarine

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

mix all together in mixer

add chips and nuts after well bended.

Place spoonfuls of batter on greased baking sheet or pan lined with parchment paper.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

There are many different ways to change ingredients to accommodate special needs and I will go over those in my next blog. See you then

No comments: